Monday, June 19, 2006

It's raining, it's pouring, old Maegan is snoring!

So today is my birthday - yay! As Clare pointed out, it's the 25th anniversary of Me! Leslie was so kind to mention that I'm halfway to 50 (I think she's still bitter about reaching that milestone 3 weeks ago). Cara sent me a card with a hippo on it, which sounds strange, but we both like big fat animals so it was really very nice. My old work friends sent me a "Look Who's Five!" card plastered in Sponge Bob and animal stickers (in case you didn't know, I used to work at Children's Hospital). Mike told me that my birthday is his favorite day, even more than his own (though it's probably because it's the one day a year I stop pretending it's my birthday and actually deserve the special treatment I demand!). All in all, I'm just glad to have friends and family to share (albeit mostly long-distance) my special day. And even though it rained all morning, it's still better than my 6th birthday, when I woke up at 6am, crying, with a double ear infection.

I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a big deal around here. So big, in fact, that the entire University of Houston is closed in honor of my special day! You don't believe me? Here's the bulletin from the UH website:

BREAKING NEWS
The University of Houston is officially closed for Monday, June 19, 2006, due to inclement weather Maegan’s birthday. No classes will be held today or tonight.

Ok, ok, so I edited it a bit. The real reason is RAIN. Would you have believed me if I had told you that first? They cancelled school for pouring-down RAIN! Add that to the fact that it's now sunny outside. If this isn't proof that Texas is a strange state, I don't know what is. I really shouldn't question their judgment, though - I am supposed to be sitting in a 4-hour Ethics seminar right now. I'll take a rain check on that one, thanks!

I don't really know what to do with myself. Mike pointed out that if I were still in college I would probably drink 20 beers during the time I was supposed to be in class. Now that I'm supposedly a responsible adult (yet still in school), I should be studying. However, I can't help but feel like a little kid on a snow day. The only problem is that I'm old and it's a rain day. Oh well, I'm going to go outside and make some mud angels, then see if I can get my roommate to make me hot chocolate with extra marshmallows!

4 comments:

Clare said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Remember that time that you and Cara walked to Chem Lab in the pouring rain with no umbrellas? I would suggest that Denison get cancelled for rain, but if 12 inches of snow in a half hour won't do it, neither will a thunderstorm. VIVA LA SCHOOL PUBLIC!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD FART! I'm so glad you had an awesome 25th! Now, normally I'd say "Let's Get Drunk!" but Clare has work, Cara has class and I have work AND class AND we'll all in various locales in the wonder that is the midwest....oh well, soon enough, girly, soon enough!

Anonymous said...

are you still alive?

margaret said...

you guys are all lame...its a birthday and theres no drinking? you guys are even all over 21!! jeez oh man...maegs, do i have to come visit for my birthday and show you all (y'all?) how its done?
just kidding, i love you all!!!!!!! :-)