Anyone for a temper tantrum?
Medicine has come a long way. Everyone knows women are unstable - or at least, we're less apt to hide it than men. Since men were originally the only doctors, and they (still) know little about our inner workings, they came up with some interesting explanations for female behavior. When a woman was overly emotional she was labeled "histrionic" - implying that her uterus was wandering through her body, causing all kinds of bedlam.
That said, I guess mine was careening towards my heart all weekend. I won't go into details, because my blood pressure will be back through the roof - suffice it to say that stress and no sleep are not a good combination. Thursday night - 4 hours of sleep (celebrating a friend's b'day and early class), Friday night - 45 minutes (up all night worrying about everything that could go wrong at the event I was co-coordinating the next day), Saturday night - 4 hours (ongoing event, then an early airport run). All in all, all worry and no sleep makes Maegan a histrionic mess. HOWEVER....
I want to take this opportunity to give accolades to the long-lost practice of NAPPING. (Ok, who am I kidding - it was never lost on me!) Sunday night I passed out for about 2 hours, face in a textbook. Kinda like this. Just not as cute and with more drooling. Today, though, I was still tired - not quite caught up. I almost fell asleep about 50 times in class (reminiscent of choir rehearsal in college, where I was never surprised to wake up still singing). So when I got home today I headed straight for the pajama pants and dove under the covers. I dreamt of vacations in New Hampshire, playing basketball and hitting tin cans with golf clubs (apparently activities I enjoy?), taking a boat ride down a river with whales swimming alongside.... it was WONDERFUL. I slept for 4 hours. I woke up happy, refreshed, and I am pleased to report that all organs are back in their proper locations.
Naps are essential. Infants take them multiple times a day. Grown-ups even take them in some societies. I think it's time that America got on board with the mandated siesta. Maybe that's why I went back to school - not for Christmas vacation, but for the possibility of naptime. Since I slept till 10pm today, I'm sure I'll be up all night. Good thing I only have class from 8-9 tomorrow morning, so I'll have plenty of time for another nap!

5 comments:
My friends, I rest my case: "No sleep is no good."
And Maegan, I know that Leslie and I sympathize with you ... we have been in the midst of "The week of multiple breakdowns and incessant crying."
Maegs, if its any indication of the week I'm having, I was talking to Cara last night about how it's finally March and when I went to send a text message that said "Happy March" at midnight, because she and I were still awake which we NEVER are, I sent a message that said "Happy Birthday" because I am crazy.
Happy crotches probably have big vaginas in October.
Oh, you crazy college kids with your ability to nap and such. If only I could close my office door...
Let us not forget the queen of the nap in college. On the other hand, I always got tons of sleep...the naps were like icing on the...uh, sleep.
I took a nap today...I forgot how wonderful they are. Unfortunately, I don't normally have time for them. But I took off work because I am STILL sick (not cool). I agree with the whole "mandatory nap" thing...the US should really look into that. ps-good job with the links.
all yogurt ought to paint damn queasy iguanas.
I'd just like to let you know that I had a breakdown today that has lasted about an hour now.
ugh.
Post a Comment