What's in a name?

There's a song by kids' artist Rick Charette that starts, "I hate my name, oh I hate my name. I'm gonna throw it in the Atlantic Ocean. I hate my name, I hate my name. I'm gonna throw it away."
Some might say it's not nice to make fun of someone for their name, since they didn't pick it and can't change it. Welllll.... actually they can. If Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou can become George Michael, anything's possible.
Could you imagine if my boyfriend and I published something... although his name alone triggers the giggles. A funny name is a sensitive, unfortunate thing. Take the last name Zweiner. You're screwed no matter how normal your first name ("Have you seen Anna Zweiner?" Ohhhh kids are relentless). How about Laboube, or Geekus... both last names of kids in my grade school. I recently met a guy named Sigh. Well, I didn't really meet him - I paid attention long enough to decide not to. It wasn't that his name was strange, it was that he really seemed to like it. Plus, he tossed his hair when he introduced himself. I thought it was rather obnoxious.
Crazy names in Psychology research....
Nelson Butters, you gotta love that one.
Wang, Fan, & Johnson authored an article I'm using for my thesis
Woodcock-Johnson III Tests of Achievement
Masters & Johnson have collaborated on several landmark studies of psychosexual disorders. Do you think they did that on purpose? Or lost a bet?
My favorite, though, is Bisiach. Wonderful, extensive, highly intellectual contributions to the field. I just wish I had married into the name a long time ago. Can you imagine.... Bisiach said, "L temporal lobe lesion causes syntactic comprehension deficits." Sounds official AND authoritative, don't you think? You just can't argue with a name like Bisiach. Try saying it condescendingly... still comes out sounding important, in a ghetto kind of way.
Juliet had it all wrong. She thought Romeo's name was the only problem in the world.

6 comments:
Ahh the Woodcock-Johnson. My brother has taken that one ... AND I went to high school with a kid named Daniel Zweiner
oh man...i always hated that song. mostly because I thought everything had feelings and I never wanted to throw anything away...maybe that's why my room is a mess. And speaking of Rick Charette, I was doing laundry the other day, and I got the "Missing Sock" song stuck in my head. I love that tape...I think I'll look in the basement for it next time I'm home.
if penguins xerox joyfully, I puke.
Bisiach sounds like something Snoop Dogg would have made up. I like it anyway. I think the Swartwout Maestroberti document sounds very official. At the very least, at least it's difficult to pronounce and a way to weed out telemarketers.
Um, so I was just looking up some lacrosse stuff and I found a girl with the last name "Begina" That is harsh.
Vagina x-rays dubiously engage zealous limp penises.
One of my speech path. professors mentioned the Woodcock-Johnson the other day in class and it was funny because it's a class full of girls with a male professor and everyone kind of giggled and he was like "what's so funny? haven't you guys ever heard of the Woodcock-Johnson? It's a very well-known test..."
Oh...and I went to high school with a kid named Mike Krack. Cruel, cruel parents.
maegan swartwout farted, producing jumping jaguars' reckless alliances.
Today in Philosophy my 947584 year old jesuit professor read us a selection from a book published by one of his friends from the society (of Jesus, that is) named Austin Fagothey (the h is silent). We laughed and he was oblivious. Or he just couldn't hear us.
Bill, let poor Fagothey buy zebras to eat.
Post a Comment