Paging Dr. Freud

Like many of you, I dream at night. I usually remember my dreams, especially when they are weird. Today I had plans to study with two classmates, Eric and Christina, for our upcoming Neuro midterm. Here is the dream I had last night:
I arrived at Eric's, and he was there along with two of our other friends, Charlotte and Sarah. They are wonderful people, but are not in our class and so would not be beneficial to our studying. Eric took my laptop and began taking out all the batteries (apparently, in dreams, laptops require 4 C batteries, 2 AAs, and a plethora of 9-Vs). I informed him that he was delaying our studying, since all my notes were on my computer. Eric looked annoyed and insisted that he had to "fix" it first - which he explained involved alphabetizing the batteries by their factory codes within the casings. Funny, because Eric is one of the least anal people I know.
[Do you ever find that, in your dreams, information pertinent to the situation just pops into your head when you need it?] Somehow I knew that Christina would be late because she had been arrested the night before. Charlotte, Sarah and I started whispering (apparently Christina's incarceration was a secret we had to keep from Eric-the-battery-sorter) about how she had almost raised enough money to post bail, so she just might make it to the study session. (I must mention that Christina is one of the most law-abiding citizens that I know.) Well, she didn't make it. As we were leaving, Sarah was carrying Charlotte's posterboard-sized laptop (which had appeared out of nowhere) and put it on the hood of her car, saying "haha, your lap is on your top." We all laughed hysterically, and then I realized I didn't have my laptop. I asked Eric about it, and he informed me that he was going to hold onto it because he wasn't done sorting the batteries. I was annoyed, but then I woke up from my dream and I didn't have time to resolve the issue. Strange, huh? Apparently in my dreams people become their opposites - maybe my dreams are a way for me to imagine how things would be if they weren't the way they were. Are you following me?
While I'm on the subject of dreams, here are some other weird ones I've had:
I had a dream last summer in which I was in a forest in a Jeep, and suddenly I was being chased by Tyrannosaurus Rexes (not to be confused with the one-and-only Chotchasaurus Rex). [Is it Rexes, or Rexi? Either way.) The funniest part was that the Rexes realized I was getting away from them, so they hopped in their own Jeep and started driving after me. They were good drivers, too - weaving in and out of trees, narrowly avoiding driving off a cliff. I suppose if a T-Rex is going to drive, it needs a Jeep because it would be too tall for any standard vehicle with a roof. Luckily, I woke up from that dream just before the Rexi caught me. It was a rather Jurassic Park-like dream, but I'm pretty sure it was triggered by my seemingly endless conversation about various dinosaur species with a 5-year-old at work that day.
Ok, last dream - this one was recurrent throughout my childhood, though I haven't had it in years. Have you ever had the nightmare where you go somewhere important - naked? Mine is a variation on that: I would show up to school without shoes. In my dream, I would spend the day at school, nervously sitting through classes, trying to hide my feet so no one would notice that I wasn't wearing shoes. It's interesting that, in all those years of the same dream, I never succeeded in sneaking home to get my shoes. You would think I'd at least have a dream where I stashed an extra pair of shoes in my gym locker, in preparation for the next shoeless dream. I guess there isn't a dream learning curve. Funny thing is, just a year or so ago my two sisters and I realized that we had all had the same recurring dream. Is that a weird unconscious family tradition, or is the shoeless dream a silent epidemic shared by many?
For those of you I've kept in suspense since paragraph 2, I attended the study session today at Eric's. Eric did not attempt to take apart my laptop, and Christina managed to pull together enough bail money and make it to the session. She is keeping the reason for her arrest under wraps, though - when I asked her about it, she just gave me a puzzled look....
On that note, I bid you good night. I have 63 pages of typed notes to memorize by Tuesday.

3 comments:
I have a recurring dream! nI have had it since I was 7 years-old. I am in my kitchen (always in the kitchen of our house in Louisiana) and I put bread into one of those toasters that is all chrome. When the toast pops up, the toaster comes alive and starts talking to me ... giving me advice ... trouble is, I can never remember the said "advice" when I wake up. I have been having this dream since for almost 20 years!
Advice from a toaster? I think that happened to me once at school...
Actually, I'm reminded of a naked-type dream. When I was in high school I would dream that I was in class and then all of a sudden I was shirtless. No one ever seemed to notice, but I couldn't raise my hand to answer questions in the dream because I was using them to cover myself.
haha-so I was reading about your recurring dream of having no shoes at school, and I was like whoa-I used to have that too! And then I kept reading and it caused me to remember that we realized this already (because you wrote it in your blog), and I was like aww, I can't make a really cool, interesting comment anymore. But somehow, here I am, posting a comment. Not as interesting as the original would have been had we not had that discussion about our recurring dreams, but a comment nonetheless. Pretty much because I'm mad at school and protesting by procrastinating. It's my new hobby. Scratch that-there's nothing new about it.
Post a Comment