Monday, October 16, 2006

Rainy Day


The city of Houston is like a badly clogged drain, except for the absence of nasty hairballs in between downpours. Basically, there is no drainage, so when it rains, the water collects in the streets and parking lots until the sun comes out again. UH was officially closed twice today due to rain - they didn't open till noon, and now they are closing at 5pm for the day. Now granted, it has been POURING since Saturday, with just a few breaks yesterday afternoon, but it's just funny to me that I've had two RAIN days from school in the past five months. The last one was on my birthday, which was pretty cool because I love thunderstorms and I didn't want to go to class that afternoon. This time I am at practicum for the day so there are no classes to be cancelled for me. The Medical Center never shuts down, and neuropsychological reports must be written, rain or shine! God was nice enough to pause the downpour while I walked into the office this morning, but I have a feeling He won't be so kind when 5:00 rolls around.

The picture above is from Houston this afternoon. That's right, it's so wet here you can't even find a dry camera to take a picture of it!

Now here's the question - I'm supposed to go to school today at 6 to prepare for my 8am therapy supervision tomorrow. School is closed now, but it won't be then... what to do? Brave the flooded streets or go semi-unprepared to supervision? Wet pant bottoms and cold feet at school for 2 hours or fleece pants, a warm blanket and some hot chocolate at home? Man, it's a toughie. I'm gonna have to flip a two-headed coin for this one. Heads, I go home, tails, I go to school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Sounds just like Huntington! It can rain, like, 1/8 of an inch and somehow, 6 feet of water collects in the streets. However, they don't cancel classes ... UH needs to get in touch with Marshall officials

Anonymous said...

If you stay home, you can help me shave my armpits.

Things like the Houston drainage problem make me wonder...did they not know when they built the city that there would be lots of rain? I mean, is this something they couldn't have prepared for? Atlanta was much the same way - basically, they just build stuff and cross their fingers. Sweet.

I'm not really complaining, I'm just jealous that Chicago doesn't have a drainage problem...which means that I have to wait for the bus in the rain.

Anonymous said...

F! I too, had a good message then Blogger got an attitude! Rain doesn't bother me too much up here now because NDC only have 14 students so parking isn't too bad (read: you don't have to park 782 miles away like at OSU or even DU).

Isn't Houston close to the ocean? Did anyone consider that when building the city? Is anyone listening to me? We seriously need to take over the world. Here's a few sample rules:
Rule1: No Skinny Jeans
Rule2: Fergie is a whore
Rule3: Don't be stupid
Rule4: Get over yourself
Rule5: Fried foods and chocolate only
Rule6: Candy Corn for everyone! (I FINALLY found Harvest Mix!)

margaret said...

Milwaukee doesn't have a drainage problem. it just has a "oh crap there's stuff falling from the sky. that must mean i should temporarily forget how to drive" problem. and i totally agree with leslie on the the whole taking over the world and implementing our own rules.
Rule7: Sweatpants=appropriate office attire.

even good vixens xerox ears.