Baby, it's cold outside!

It's official. The state of Texas is in a state of emergency. The temperature has hit a bone-chilling .... 37 degrees. It is predicted that tonight the temperature will drop dramatically to (gasp) the point at which water freezes. The University of Houston sent out a bulletin four days ago warning us that they may have to close school tomorrow, which is supposed to be the first day of Spring classes. My roommate and I just heard on the radio that they've closed one of the entrance ramps of the highway until they can get potential ice formations under control. Whatever that means.
Yes, it's cold for Houston. Yes, I wish it were a little bit warmer (and that I were a little bit taller, and a baller, and had a '64 Impala... but I digress). Yes, it's rainy and windy and just generally not nice out. Yes, the rain may freeze on its way down tonight (it's called sleet, people). Yes, there might be ice on the roads. But is it really necessary to close down highways and entire institutions of higher education for the sole reason that Houstonians don't know how to drive intelligently when the road is icy? Apparently so.
I'm supposed to have a 12 hour day tomorrow - supervision 8-12, practicum 1-5, class 5-8. I can't say I'd complain if school were closed, but I also can't say that my supervisors and professor will actually cancel our engagements, regardless of the good word from the provost. And I can almost guarantee that the air conditioning will be on in our supervision room, meaning there might be ice on the carpet even if the parking lot is clear. At least the space heater from 1959 with the frayed wires should be around somewhere....
What do you think? Will I be able to add "1 cold day" to the 5 hurricane and 2 rain days I've had this past year and a half? Either way, I have a feeling that when my alarm goes off tomorrow morning, I just might throw it out in the snow. Errr- I mean, sleet. Oh well, I'm sure it will be just as effective at making that horrible beeping stop... and I'll settle in for a warm winter's nap in my fleece pj's and wool socks.

3 comments:
It's actually colder in Texas than it is in the midwest. Sort of scary! I realized that I don't have an ice scrapper down here - maybe my Student ID/Credit Card will get some use on Tuesday.
I wish I lived in Houston...you have to get 5 feet of snow and negative 50 degrees for anything to be cancelled in the Heights.
you guys are wusses. i walked to class in 2 feet of snow, barefoot, uphill this morning. (by in 2 feet i mean alongside 1, by barefoot i mean with my boots on and by uphill i mean the driveway of the alley i walk through slants up a little...same difference)
non-houstonians boast really jarring cold.
Post a Comment